Bolton Hospice has 18 private en-suite rooms for those who need care within the hospice. Our accommodation is comfortable and homely, and every room has direct access to our beautiful gardens.
Why might you be referred to the inpatient unit?
You may sometimes be admitted for inpatient care at an early stage of your illness for a short period of care followed by ongoing support. It could be for transitional care after treatment or for control of symptoms such as pain, nausea or vomiting. You may also be admitted to the inpatient unit during the final stages of your illness.
Who needs admission?
- Those whose physical or psychological problems are not responding to care at home or in hospital.
- Those who need a period of assessment or review.
- Those who may be reaching the end of life and are unable to remain at home.
Who provides care?
- Our inpatients are under the medical care of our Medical Director, Dr. Ellie McCann, with day-to-day care provided by other members of the medical team.
- 24-hour medical care is provided by a rota of hospice doctors available on call.
- Nursing care is provided day and night by our team of nurses.
- Our clinical team is supported by a number of other team members including physiotherapists, occupational therapists, complementary therapists, creative therapists, social workers, chaplains, housekeepers and cooks.
How long does a patient stay at the hospice?
- This is very individual and varies depending on the patient's condition, symptoms and needs.
- Long term care is not provided in the inpatient unit, and discussions about discharge and future care take place when appropriate.
- Patients can be admitted for care on more than one occasion.
What are the visiting arrangements?
- We welcome visitors to the hospice at any time. There are no strict rules about numbers of visitors, although it is important to remember that large numbers of visitors can be tiring for patients, and the needs of other patients should also be respected. Pets are also able to visit patients.
Can visitors stay overnight?
- We can arrange accommodation for close family members who would like to stay in the hospice overnight due to their relative's condition.